Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Sentences can contain a lot

One of the classes that I'm taking this fall is on Lectio Divina it's been a really interesting class and very good for me (I do better with spiritual disciplines when I have someone/some group holding me accountable). But I came across a line in "Praying the Bible" by Mariano Magrassi that I was like wow, that for me summarizes the whole lectio process in a very nice, yet not simplistic way. So I thought I would share it.

"Reading enables us to learn what we do not know, meditation enables us to retain what we have learned, and prayer enables us to live what we have retained."

This reminds me very much of the beginning of 1 Thessalonian's where it says "We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."