Monday, September 24, 2007

Personality Tests, love'm or hate'm?

Enneagram

So after being in one of those re-fresher meetings about the leadership at church it reminded me I'm a 7. That's right a 7. Now what is a 7 you ask. Well good question. Here is what a 7 can hope to be and a what a 7 can try to avoid being.

Level 1 (At Their Best): Assimilate experiences in depth, making them deeply grateful and appreciative for what they have. Become awed by the simple wonders of life: joyous and ecstatic. Intimations of spiritual reality, of the boundless goodness of life.

vs.

Level 9: Finally, their energy and health is completely spent: become claustrophobic and panic-stricken. Often give up on themselves and life: deep depression and despair, self-destructive overdoses, impulsive suicide. Generally corresponds to the Manic-Depressive and Histrionic personality disorders.

Which do you say I am? I guess that would depend largely on the context in which you know me. Are you familiar with my grumpy moments in which I can't articulate a single issue except for the fact that I'm pissed off? or are you more familiar with me when I am ecstatic about a new or fresh idea and the wondrous opportunities that lay before us on our journey to discover?

Well I guess that's why I'm writing this post. To explore me...yes, that odd endeavor that feels very selfish yet the very one that can lead to great peace and fulfillment.

Maybe I'm more like a Level 5: Unable to discriminate what they really need, become hyperactive, unable to say "no" to themselves, throwing self into constant activity. Uninhibited, doing and saying whatever comes to mind: storytelling, flamboyant exaggerations, witty wise-cracking, performing. Fear being bored: in perpetual motion, but do too many things—many ideas but little follow through.

I think that's where I stand right now. I'm taking 14 credit hours (including two doctoral level seminar systematic theology classes -- hey it sounded fun) and a part time internship. I'm feeling a bit hyperactive at the moment. You would think after a semester at 12 credits, a twice-as-much-as-I-am-now internship, and co-managing an on-campus coffee shop would have made this semester a cake walk. I guess either the summer made me weak or I have a much better view of myself now.

Either way, I'm looking forward to going to Soularize. I haven't been before but my wife and I couldn't honestly turn down a conference in the Bahama's that happened to fall directly onto my fall-break week and her needing to be in Florida the week after the event.